Wednesday, February 16, 2011

VALENTINE'S FUN!!!

I really hope I can do this story justice.... 

Growing up, my family had a yearly tradition on Valentine's Day.  My mother would think ahead of schedule, help us bake and frost heart shaped cookies (from a cookie cutter that was shaped like a heart from the bottom of the  tomato juice can...  she is so clever)  and then drive us around to deliver them.  Such a cute idea...  to show our friends and family how much we love them.  We would lay the freshly made cookies at the base of the door, knock on the door, and run and  hide.  It was so fun for us to watch the person answer the door..  and stand there wondering who had left such delectable treats!  My mother would wait in a parked car and have another plate of cookies ready for the next house when we returned.  Well, I will never be my mother...  Not even if I put forth any effort!!!!!  I will never live up to the woman who will have surgery in the morning and show up for work in the afternoon....  She is an amazing woman!!!

Here's how my Valentine's Day rolls....   Get to work and realize "OH crap..  today is Valentine's Day"!  After school, I run to the grocery store and pay a small fortune for some pink frosted cookies, that probably nobody will ever eat, because they are store bought, not freshly baked.  Oh well, its the thought that counts.  So, once I get home and have collected Mason and wrestled the two dozen cookies out of his hands...  I begin the bagging process.  I have no paper plates so I just use some valentine's cellophane bags.  I unlike my mother, don't even have cute little cards to attach.  I'm a little more classy.. I use a sharpie to write on the bags :)  Then I staple the top of the bag  and we are ready to deliver our gifts.... 


So, we get in the car and I realize that now I have to explain to Mason how this delivering of the cookies will take place.  He won't want me to go with him, because he is now to the point where he has to do everything ALONE..  He tells me "GET OUT OF HERE MOM... I DO IT MYSELF"!!  Ok, so how do I explain the events?  LIGHT BULB... I got it..  I will tell him in "STEPS"!

Mom:  Mason I need you to pay attention  (His head is turned but I hope he is listening)

Step 1:  Put the cookies on the ground in front of the door

Step 2:  Ring the doorbell

Step 3:  Run around the side of the house and hide

Step 4:  Wait for me to honk the horn..  then run back to the car

His head is still turned

Mom: (loudly)  MASON ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?

Mason:  (spoken very fast...) step 1 cookies on the ground...step  2  ring the doorbell... step 3 run and hide.... step 4 mom will honk.

HOLY COW..... He listened to me for the first time in his life...   It's a freakin miracle :)  At this point I am very proud of myself... feeling like I am definitely getting mother of the year award this year...  I'm a genius... A one of a kind...   a role model...   a beacon of light....  (and then mason took me out of my dream land)

Mason:  MOM LET'S GO!!!!

First house...  I pull up and park behind a truck and immediately repeat the steps.  Mason reminds me that I must stay in the car and that he can do it alone.  Then he joyfully jumps from the car... store bought cookies in hand... and bolts for the house.  He places the cookies at the base of the door... but then he starts looking around like he's lost something and I'm thinking...  c'mon ring the darn doorbell and run... why doesn't this kid ever follow directions!!  Mason is now peeking through the windows at the side of the door and his ADD is very apparent as he bobs and weaves.  Up, down and around...   And then finally I see him knock on the door... fly down the steps...  dash to the side of the house and hide!!!  He did it..   YIPPEEEE!!!  After the cookies have been taken inside, I back my car up and give a little honk, to finish off with step 4....  and Mason sneakily headed for the car :)

Mom:  Mason you did a good job!

Mason turns to me and in a very disgusted tone he says......

BUT...Mom Step 2... NO DOORBELL!!

1 comment:

  1. That is the cutest story every! I love Mason! And don't worry about living up to your mom - none of us ever will! You are GREAT (store bought cookies and all)!! Sure miss you guys...

    ReplyDelete